Our thoughts on the Ricochet driver leak...

zebleer

• Administrator

I have spent a lot of time with the Ricochet driver that was leaked ~24 hours ago. I think the nickname Ricoshit is appropriate from now on.

Two things:

1. Clearly not fake or a diversion. Activision would never be intentionally embarrassed like this, especially now of all times. Also it would be too much work to make two anti-cheats (one fake, one real) just to waste cheat developer's time, which doesn't even really matter because on implementation we'd just get to work on the current version anyways so the word "diversion" does not even fit this scenario. Activision has leaks rampantly from source code files to this to even other warnings I've heard of other providers getting about internal workings. This is normal & real.

2. Just because this is basically EQU8 with more HWID banning power does not mean that it's a joke. They can improve upon this at any time & they have entered kernel with us. Also many of your favorite rage providers were crushed by EQU8 (i.e. AA, EO).

These HWID bans will be very serious, which is bad because COD HWID bans are already pretty deep. In addition, manual bans & detections & ban waves will generally be higher now. Heuristics & other forms of detection by playstyle will be working hard to catch people using aimbot & other "rage" features even on UD cheats. So we will have more people using rage cheats & getting bans that they can't remove. Obviously my recommendation is to use PO & play legit maybe with aimbot disabled so that you can avoid becoming one of these people, but I own PO so of course I'd say that. Just keep what I've written in mind.

• Administrator

I by no means said that Ricochet was going to be a challenge. I just tend to not underestimate my opponent (the anti-cheat). IK you all want me to meme & say "EZ EZ EZ" & laugh & joke like other providers but I'm taking Ricochet seriously despite what underwhelming cat shit I have seen so far.

In it's current state, they will give spoofers a harder time, but people who are just using stuff like PO & don't get HWID banned don't have to worry about spoofers having a hard time staying working & UD... & there will be spoofers that work anyways.

Otherwise, so far, it's cat shit as I said above. This is not a year in the making. This is 5 days in the making with half a day's worth of protections. They lied. Activision 100% lied. This was a PR move, as if we couldn't tell that by their overly dramatic mass email & social media posts + reveal. It's almost like the PR team put that out then looked at the anti-cheat team like "ok now you have to make that true within 3 days."

UnknownCheats copy & pasters will still have UD shit after this drops, unfortunately. They will just exploit the same vulnerable Intel driver & make a pasted bypass for their pasted cheats with pasted features, and that is something I really didn't want to see, but without major changes, it's reality. This is a very crappy anti-cheat with many imports, scary similarities to Splitgate's driver, & could have been made by anyone who's read a kernel programming book. The fact that it's only active when the game is active is also a huge RIP for their effectiveness because pasters will just map & unload before game boots.

My theory is that Activision is having trouble hiring qualified people because of how unpopular they are as an employer. Either that or they are cheap & know they can just sell hype & PR moves instead actually deliver.

Such a shame. I was looking forward to real experienced providers with talent taking the market back...

• Administrator

Ricochet can always improve as I see people saying, but it would take time. They won't be able to launch or implement something much better within the time they have left. It's a poor quality kernel AC that may improve in the future, & I will be ready. The leak was not a fake or super early version. They are testing with a nearly current version I am sure, otherwise there is no point to test. You can't expect them to scale it to amazing levels within their short deadline because that's not how kernel programming for mass used software works. If they try, it's BSOD city for their player base. Launch version of Ricochet will be Ricoshit & it will likely be several months before I get a real challenge, but that day will likely come, & UC pasters will finally die.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I truly respect the honesty TY ......   I'm new to PO but after getting a feel for how you operate  I triuly                                   

respect it  so ill be around for a while.. But can i ask one  ????  So I can see you really know what your doing and will take this opportunity to ask if you can make PO Controller

Compatible  Without using 3rd party  software PLS... Any way thank you 

On 11/21/2021 at 1:45 PM, JordanRed said:

I truly respect the honesty TY ......   I'm new to PO but after getting a feel for how you operate  I triuly                                   

respect it  so ill be around for a while.. But can i ask one  ????  So I can see you really know what your doing and will take this opportunity to ask if you can make PO Controller

Compatible  Without using 3rd party  software PLS... Any way thank you 

The way PO is built makes even adding support for programs like AntiMicro etc a hassle, so full embeded controller support is being looked at but has zero guarantee that it'll ever come to anything if it means it requires sacrificing security even the slightest bit.